Developing Partnerships... Launching Dreams
Kennedy Space Center’s (KSC) Payload Processing teams have decades of experience supporting NASA and commercial partners in all aspects of preparing and launching payloads into space. In addition to a wide array of expertise, the center offers a variety of equipment and facilities to help prepare, process and support payloads of nearly all sizes and types, including life science and biological payloads. The level of support can be tailored to fit the needs of each partner.
Payload Processing support includes:
Fluids and Gasses Servicing: high pressure gas servicing (hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, helium) and hazardous fluids servicing, with experience in the servicing of NH3; N2H4; MMH; UDMH; N2O4; JP8/RP1; H2O2; LN2; LO2; and LH2. Internal Thermal Control System fluid servicing of ISS internal payloads.
Payload Testing -- The KSC team can support customers with a wide variety of tests that, based on decades of experience, are necessary for mission success. These tests include:
Payload Launch Operations: The KSC team can provide a variety of support services for payload launch operations. Capabilities include, but are not limited to:
- RapidScat, launched September 2014 - Installed Passive Flight Release Attachment Mechanism (PFRAM), performed alignment verifications at Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), supported JPL on performing end-to-end test, and provided host role support while at KSC
- GLACIER (General Laboratory Active Cryogenic ISS Experiment Refrigerator) and Merlin (Microgravity Experiment Research Locker Incubator), both ISS payloads, launched April 2014 - Performed Internal Thermal Control System (ITCS) fluid servicing, and performed weight and CG
- Serviced ISS Audio Terminal Unit ORU water lines (fill, leak check, circulate, sanitize, and sample) in support of Orbital -3 mission.
- Serviced ISS Pre-Treat Urine Hose (pre-treat solution, fill, and sample) in support of SpaceX-4 mission.
- Flight filled ISS Oxygen and Nitrogen Recharge Tank Assemblies in support of various SpaceX missions
- Clean room facility space in the SSPF
- Host support in the areas of cab crane use, fluids and gas services, lab cleaning equipment and other heavy equipment services
Ready to explore a partnership, or simply need more information? Please submit your inquiry to our KSC Facilitator.
Contact Us: KSC-Partnerships@mail.nasa.gov